|Location:||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Legal Assistant:||Olayinka Owoeye|
Gayle began her career as Social Worker with Children’s Aid and the Vancouver Resources Board. She gained significant experience in child protection, juvenile and adoption cases, as she handled a complex and high volume child protection, family, juvenile, and adoptions caseload which required many attendances in court.
Gayle’s legal career developed as a Litigation lawyer who successfully prosecuted, defended, mediated and resolved Insurance, Professional Negligence, Personal Injury, Administrative, Employment and Family Law cases at all levels of court and tribunals at two well known Vancouver law Firms. Gayle was certified as a Family law Mediator and took advanced negotiation programs.
Gayle’s experience as a lawyer in the professional regulatory, administrative, employment law, board and governance fields stems from her work as a staff lawyer at the Law Society of British Columbia. She served in the Competency Department (Now Practice Standards) assisting lawyers with competency difficulties and then in the Professional Conduct Department conducting investigations and assisting with disciplinary and credentials complaints.
Gayle’s administrative law and regulatory knowledge further developed from her position as Director of Academic Relations, a senior SFU Administrator, where she oversaw a team providing advice on complex policy, procedural and legal matters to Senior Management as well as advice and services to 1200 faculty, their staff and Leaders. As Director of Special Projects Gayle developed and administered the first annual Academic Leadership Training program for new Faculty administrators at SFU.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Professional Governance and Regulation
- Administrative Law
- Employment Law
- Dispute Resolution
- Certification as a Professional Regulatory Investigator CLEAR 2014
- Certified as a Family Law Mediator 1997
- University of British Columbia LLB/JD 1982 – Called to the Bar in BC 1983
- University of Manitoba Bachelor of Social Work (Dean’s Honour list) 1973
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Trial Lawyers Association
- Women’s Law Forum
Selected Publications and Presentations
- 2006-2012 – Presentations to Deans, Chairs, Directors, Academic Personnel and Faculty, other organizations such as BCIT and Visiting Faculty Groups in regard to SFU Policy, Specialized Programs.
- “Understanding your US Tax Reporting Requirements” organized annual workshop for US Faculty with Pacifica Partners
- “File Management: Chapter 16 in Managing Your Law Firm” May 1996, CLE; co-written with Jackie Morris-still in use now
- “Contingency Agreements – Where are We at Now?” – presented at a CLE seminar.
- Revised PLTC (Professional Legal Training Course) materials annually-requested by PLTC. 1991-2005
- “Family Law For Legal Assistants” – co-designed and co-wrote the course materials.
- Articles on Improving Lawyer Competency -Bencher’s Bulletin
- Faculty at 3-day annual CLE Family Conference; organized its technology trade show and chaired a technology panel.
- Member Services Committee of the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association: appointed as Law Society representative (1989 – 2005); initiated and developed many programs and services to benefit lawyers
- Mentor to UBC Law Student and UBC Mock Trial Judge
- Executive Board Member-of a Vancouver Family Service Agency and Vancouver Elementary School
- Chair of many successful community fundraisers
- 2007-2013 SFU United Way Rep
- 10 years Canvasser for Heart and Stroke, Liver and Muscular Dystrophy Fundraising Campaigns
- Mentor to many young lawyers and social workers